University of Houston-Victoria

Title IX and Equal Opportunity


University of Houston-Victoria Title IX and Equal Opportunity

How to Report a Concern or Start a Formal Complaint 

Title IX Logo

About the Title IX and Equal Opportunity Office

The Title IX/Equal Opportunity Office maintains and strengthens an educational, working and living environment where students, faculty, staff and visitors are free from sex discrimination of any kind. The Office is charged with the processing of all inquiries and complaints concerning discrimination based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, genetic information, and/or veteran status

The Title IX and Equal Opportunity Coordinator oversees efforts to comply with and implement the University of Houston System Sexual Misconduct Policy and the University of Houston System Anti-Discrimination Policy.  The Coordinator conducts administrative investigations of reports of sexual misconduct as well as harassment and discrimination and is available to discuss options, provide information about support services, explain policies and procedures, and develop training and education initiatives.

Non-Discrimination Statement

The policy of UHV is to ensure equal opportunity in all its educational programs and activities, and all terms and conditions of employment without regard to age, race, color, disability, religion, national origin, veteran's status, genetic information, or sex (including pregnancy), except where such a distinction is required by law.  Additionally, UHV prohibits discrimination in all aspects of employment and educational programs on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.  

Any person with inquiries and/or complaints regarding unlawful harassment, discrimination or Title IX (sexual misconduct) may direct questions to Rebecca Lake, Equal Opportunity and Title IX Coordinator (University West 116, 361-570-4835) or to the U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights (800-421-3481).  

Students with disabilities needing assistance may contact Cheryl Worley, Manager of Disability Services (University North 214H, 361-570-4287).

Employees with disabilities needing assistance may contact Laura Smith, Director of Human Resources (University West 117, 361-570-4800).

Dissemination Procedure

This Statement may be disseminated through the following:

UHV Website
Student Handbook
UHV Catalog
University Viewbook
New Employee Orientation
Faculty Manual

Legal References

Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended in 1972, Title VI, Title VII
Education Amendments of 1972, Title IX (P.L. 92-318)
Public Law 93-162 (Section 504)
45 CFR, Parts 81, 86 (Federal Register June 4, 1985, August 11, 1975)

Additional Information

Read the UH Sexual Misconduct Policy.

Read the UH System Anti-Discrimination Policy.

For further information on notice of non-discrimination and for the address and phone number of the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights office that serves your area, call 1(800) 421-3481 or visit the OCR contact page.

How to Report a Concern or Start a Formal Complaint for Title IX (Sexual Misconduct) or Equal Opportunity (Discrimination and Harassment)

To learn more about the difference between administrative reports, formal administrative complaints and police reports, see our Reports FAQs

Report a Concern:

Contact the Title IX and Equal Opportunity Coordinator. Reports can be made by phone, email or regular mail.

Rebecca Lake
Title IX and Equal Opportunity Coordinator
University of Houston-Victoria
3007 N. Ben Wilson St.
University West, Room 116
Victoria, TX 77901

Formal Complaints:

To file a Title IX or Equal Opportunity Formal Complaint, submit a completed Formal Complaint Questionnaire in person, by email or mail to the Title IX and Equal Opportunity Coordinator. The Title IX and Equal Opportunity Coordinator is available to answer questions about policies and the complaint process prior to the filing of a formal complaint.

Police Reports:

In an emergency, dial 911. To file a report with police, contact local law enforcement where the incident occurred or for campus police call 361-570-4357 (361-570-HELP). Campus police may be able to assist you in contacting local law enforcement if the incident occured outside the campus police jurisdiction.

Anonymous Reports:

Anonymous reports can also be made online at the Fraud & Non-Compliance Hotline or by calling 1-800-461-9330. However, filing a report without identifying the details of the incident or the reporting party may limit our ability to conduct a thorough investigation.